Now is the time to support our immunity.
With just a little over a month till school starts up again I want my daughters bodies to be in the best condition.
I am thankful for a source I have found that can help boost our wellness naturally.
As a mom, I believe we can do better and be proactive. Why wait for our children to get sick? Now, is the time to start taking care of our wellness before the school doors even open.
Read all the way to the end to find your free recipe for my immune boosting foot rub for kids…a must for now, when they are sick and after they are back to their normal selves.
Our children are everything to us.
We want the best for them, and we want them to be healthy in both body and mind and THRIVE in life. So let's get to it!
1. EAT FOr WELLNESS
Our bodies work the best when we nourish them with pure, whole healthy foods and supplements. Adding more fruits and vegetables and water into your children’s diet will bring them more wellness in the long run.
Try these super immunity boosting foods:
- Sweet potatoes – rich in beta carotene and many other vitamins and minerals which convert into Vitamin A to provide a healthy immune system
- Yogurt – eating yogurt with live and active culture (also known as probiotics are known to help stimulate immune system to help fight of diseases
- Citrus fruits - high in Vitamin C, eating citrus fruits can increase production of white blood cells which can be key in fighting of infection
- Broccoli - high in antioxidants, Vitamin A, C and E and a excellent source of fibre
- Oats – High in beta-glucan, selenium and zinc oats are a natural source to help boost the infection fighting blood cells
- Leafy greens – high in nutrients like flavonoids and carotenoids these greens are rich in Vitamin C and E
- Avocados - offers over 20 vitamins and minerals and is a powerful antioxidant
- Bone broth - helps with anti inflammatory effects, improves sleep, and brain function and helps with joint health)
- Shellfish - are high in Zinc which helps the bodies defensive system to work properly, help with cell growth and wound healing
- Almonds and Sunflower seeds – High in Vitamin E which act as an antioxidant and loaded with iron and high in protein that are all beneficial to a healthy immune system
- Garlic, Ginger, Cinnamon, Oregano, Turmeric – Powerful and full of flavour spices and herbs are high in anti inflammatory compounds, sesquiterpenes, antioxidants, antimicrobial, antiseptic, reducing oxidative stress, polyphenols to help boost and assist your body with higher immune response and assists in fighting off infections
- Bell Peppers – A great source of Vitamin C, beta carotene that are beneficial to both healthy skin, tissue layers/mucous and immune health
- Kiwi - High in Vitamins A, E, potassium, fibre and magnesium
- Pomegranates – High in Vitamins C and E and can help in preventing illnesses and fighting of infections They are shown to be antibacterial and antiviral in lab tests…You HAVE to try my super red juice!
- Watermelon – High in Vitamins A, C, potassium and selenium known to boost our bodies and help with lowering oxidative stress
- Berries – Strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and acai berries are all rich in Vitamin C, flavonoids and antioxidants which help protect cells from damage to the immune system
- White, Green and Black tea – Comes packed with antioxidant, flavonoids and polyphenols that can help in fighting of and destroying germs.
We can also provide nourishment through supplements if diet needs are not met by food. Eating real foods should always be our first choice for our children but supplementing to boost their bodies can be beneficial to boosting their immune system.
Some important vitamins and minerals include Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Calcium, Magnesium, Beta-carotene, Zinc, Iron, and Probiotics.
Sit down with your kids and set a nightly routine. They will feel included in the process and tend to follow it easier if they have a choice in the decision. Pick an appropriate bedtime and stick to it. I know this is hard during the summer nights but I promise it will help in September!
3. Wellness Through ExersizeExercise and getting outside is another way that can provide our children’s body with the wellness they need. Simply getting out for a walk can be beneficial in supporting their little bodies. It is suggested that children ages 3 to 17 get 60 minutes or more of active play every day.
Physical activity helps flush out bacteria from our lungs and airways and can help with changes in antibodies and helps in promoting the growth of healthy white blood cells. As children move their bodies in exercise their body temperatures raise which can allow us to fight of infection better, just like a fever.
While we are active together as a family or individually our stress levels come down, this helps our bodies to be naturally protected against illnesses.
Try activities such as
- Playing sports
- Jumping on a trampoline
- Playing at the park
Getting outside will also help our bodies to absorb more Vitamin D. This vitamin that we naturally absorb through the sun is important for bone health, blood cells and immunity. Vitamin D also promotes a more restful sleep and helps us to stay focused, have less stress and anxiety while bringing us more creativity and boosting our energy.
4. Good Hygiene Habits
It is natural for children to want to touch everything, their faces (other peoples face), and put their hands in their mouths. A gentle reminder and forming good habits early can help substantially.
I have always been strict with hand washing. My girls are programed to go straight to the sink when we get home (EVERY SINGLE TIME) to wash their hands.
Coughing into our elbows, shoulder or a scarf and using Kleenex to wipe and blow noses and throwing it in the garbage (why is it so hard for kids to do this?!) can help protect others. Remember, your child’s good hygiene habits are NOT just for themselves but for everyone that your child(ren) encounter during the day.
5. Limiting Environmental and Toxic Exposures
- Children have greater exposure to toxic chemicals for their body weight than adults.
Check it out here: https://healthaffairs.org/doi/full/10.1377/
Look at the products you are using most often on your kids. Pick the first couple of ingredients and google "dangers of ____ and insert the name. Does anything surprise you, scare you, make you second guess the use of the product?
6. MindfulnessAs a mom, we need to be right in our mind. Low self esteem, low confidence, being scared, anxious and struggling with feelings of being burn out can lead to a negative mind and affect our wellness. This is the same for a child.
Being in the middle of a pandemic can make this hard.
Try some of these tips to help bring more peace:
- Have fun with your child
- Be silly
- Let them be children
- Talk about their worries, stresses, and anxieties
- Spend time outdoors
- Allow them to do what they want (while keeping safety in mind)
- Create and stick with a schedule
- Connect with others (safely)
- Encourage them to write in a journal
- Recite affirmations
- Find ways to serve the community or other people
- Let them sleep in
- Let them sleep in your bed
- Read stories together
- Play games and cards
- Turn the news off
- Limit screen time
Often, we react to the issues rather then preparing and being ready. Being proactive about our children’s health physically and mentally can be highly beneficial if we are willing to do the work.
Essential oils are a way to make small steps that can turn into big steps.
We can use essential oils topically. This is when we apply them to our bodies. My girl’s favorite place to apply oils is on their wrist, neck, spine, and feet. Although essential oils are safe diluting when applying on children’s skin is highly suggested and always remember to avoid their ears and eyes.
Using aromatically is one of the easiest and quickest ways to use oils. Just open a bottle and breathe it in. So simple! Adding a few drops to an ultrasonic diffuser can bring everyone in the home many benefits.
I have discovered over many years that with continued use before, during and after feeling dis ease or stress in our bodies helps us all receive so many benefits and will cut feeling unwell time in half.
As mentioned, here is my favorite immune boosting foot run…we call it “oils on toes”!
10 drops Thieves
Mix all essential oils and carrier oil together.
Want to learn more? Get in touch with me to discover more wellness so you do not need to stress about going back to school!